Translate

Tuesday 26 January 2016

365 Red; Bridle racks and injuries. Graphic image...

Sometimes people ask that question, "If you knew then what you know now...". My answer is, "Something in medicine; probably emergency medicine." Wounds don't bug me - at least none I've encountered so far.

Generally, I'm not bothered by blood and cuts and stuff. I was the go-to mom on the beach when kids hurt themselves. My claim to medical fame was the time one of the boys slipped off a metal bridge and cut his leg quite badly. I cleaned the wound, bandaged him up, and sent him off to the local hospital, where the staff asked him why he was back... they thought he'd already been treated.

Recently I was visiting my sister in Vegas. She's a trainer there. We had coffee plans, which she had to cancel due to one of her horses having caught its nose on a hook - the kind one usually hangs bridles on. The horse pulled away, rather than lifting its head, resulting in a wicked but super cool laceration to its nostril.

The horse's owner - and my sis - were pretty grossed out, but the vet and I  had a great chat about the wound and how he was going to fix it right up. Proper old-time vet; very James Herriot.

WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGE




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and moderated). Assholes will be surgically-removed.